JEB - 100 years of discovery
In the realms of science and engineering, 1923 was a busy year. The first helicopter took to the air, Frederick G. Banting and John J. R. Macleod were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their discovery of insulin, and a group of scientists, including Francis A. E. Crew and Lancelot T. Hogben from the University of Edinburgh, UK, published letters in Nature and Science announcing the birth of a new journal – The British Journal of Experimental Biology
Fast-forward to 2023 and we are very proud to be celebrating 100 years of discovery in JEB.
We would like to thank not only our current authors, readers, reviewers, Editors, Editorial Board members and staff but also all those who have contributed to the journal over the years, shaping its direction and making it the journal that it is today.
Although our official ‘birthday’ is not until October 2023 – 100 years from when the first issue of the journal was published – we are marking this historic milestone with activities and centenary articles throughout the year and will be updating this page regularly – so please bookmark it and remember to come back and see what’s new.
- JEB 100 years of Discovery - subject collection featuring all articles published in the journal to celebrate this historic milestone
- Editorial – JEB centenary 1923–2023: celebrating 100 years of discovery
- Perspective – Class of 1923: looking back on the authors from JEB’s first issue
- Centenary Articles – Commentary, Review and Perspective articles documenting the past, present and future of experimental biology
- Special issue – A Century of Comparative Biomechanics: Emerging and Historical Perspectives on an Interdisciplinary Field
- ECR Spotlight – interviews with some of the early-career researchers publishing in the journal during our centenary year
- Conversation – interviews with the journal Editors, talking about their experiences of the journal and the role of experimental biology in the future
- Centenary grants – new funding opportunities to support researchers
Join us at conferences throughout the year to meet the Editorial team and pick up centenary-related goodies.
- SICB 2023 – 3-7 January – Austin, TX, USA
- CSZ 2023 – 15-19 May – Saskatoon, SK, Canada
- SEB 2023 – 4-7 July – Edinburgh, UK
- We are also sponsoring a Biology Communication Workshop for early-career researchers, taking place one day prior to the start of CSZ 2023. The workshop focuses on how to effectively communicate your science to other researchers and the public. Find out more and apply here.
As part of our celebration of 100 years of discovery, we've taken a slightly different approach to our yearly calendar. The 2023 JEB calendar features some of the images that have appeared on the front cover of the journal over time. Further information about the images, together with a link to the associated research papers, can be found on our calendar page.