1. The percentage water content of Thermobia can be increased by starvation.
2. After desiccation (3 days in dry air) the water content of starved insects is still above normal; yet such insects will take up water from a infsaturated atmosphere (83% R.H.).
3. The rate of water loss into dry air from starved insects is not dependent upon water content.
4. Both water content and rate of water loss remain constant throughout the moulting cycle.
5. In general terms the uptake mechanism is not dependent upon water content.
6. Severe starvation before desiccation seems to impair or inhibit the uptake mechanism.